“If you can change your mind, you can change your life.”
“You can if you think you can.”
“If you don’t like something change it. If you can’t change it, change the way you think about it.”
Welcome to day 8 of my 30 day detox. For the next week, I am focusing on my mental health. It is so easy for your mind to get cluttered with past experiences and anxiety about the future. We begin to feel numb, like we are just existing. The routine and stress of life takes a toll on our mental health. As a part of my mental detox, I am also partaking in a digital detox. Yes, a break from social media. The edited and filtered versions of others’ lives has a tendency to clutter my mind and distract my focus.
I am taking a complete 7 day break from social media. I think the hardest part for me is YouTube. I love to watch YouTube! I get a lot of meal ideas, cleaning inspiration, and home decor ideas. The families I watch are so organized and I have to remind myself that this is their highlight. I can’t compare my lows to someone else’s highs, it’s not a fair comparison. Come on, don’t act like I’m the only one who does that. I try to figure out how their houses are always clean and their kids are always so well behaved, guess what -they aren’t!
If you can’t break away from social media for 7 days (which is more of a reason why you should), I would try this 7-Day Smartphone Detox I found on Pinterest.
1. Monday – Unfollow people who aren’t real friends, unsubscribe from unwanted email lists, and delete apps you don’t use. – Now that’s a hard one. I mean we judge ourselves by how many “friends” and “followers” we have. Let the dead weight go, you will feel so much better.
2. Tuesday – Turn off push notifications. – Oh. My. Goodness. I can’t even finish my thought if I get a notification on my phone. Turn them off already!
3. Wednesday – Resist the urge to look at your phone first thing in the morning. – How about I thank God for waking me up in the morning before I grab my phone?!? Ouch, the truth hurts.
4. Thursday – Set up a charging station outside of your bedroom, and don’t look at your phone an hour before bed. – Hang in there, you can do it.
5. Friday – Go out to dinner and leave your phone at home. – You really don’t need it. I know, you have kids and “in case of an emergency” you need your phone. Well, leave it in the car, that sounds a little a better.
6. Saturday – Spend the day not looking at or posting to social media. – Social Media Free Saturday, I like the way that sounds.
7. Sunday – Turn off your smartphone for the entire day. – I don’t think I have EVER turned my phone off for more than an hour and certainly not for an entire day. I’m trying this!
What else? In addition to eating clean, drinking lots of water, working out, and taking a break from social media I am taking it a step further. If you haven’t read the book, The Secret, by Rhonda Byrne – I HIGHLY recommend reading it. I just watched the DVD (thanks babe for ordering), and it is mind blowing. It reveals the secret on how to live a fulfilling life by the Law of Attraction. What you think and speak comes back to you. Every morning I have been saying positive affirmations to start my day. When I start getting stressed throughout the day, I begin speaking those positive affirmations over my life. I didn’t realize how negative I was towards certain situations, and I was wondering why they weren’t getting any better. Hello, if you speak negativity, you receive negativity.
You can do it! I want you to give this a try & let me know how it helps!!